Google Sites Terms of Service
Google Sites is a service used to create and maintain personal websites, wikis, and project sites for Berkeley community members. Use of Google Sites is bound by UC Berkeley’s G Suite Terms of Service, the Campus Online Activities Policy and Google’s Abuse Program Policies and Enforcement, pertaining to appropriate use and content published on personal websites.
Google Sites Usage Eligibility
Anyone with a bConnected Google Account can create and manage a Google Site. See account eligibility for more details.
As discussed within the Campus Online Activities Policy:
- Any use of the University name or marks are subject to restrictions from Use of the University name and seal.
- Sites may not be used to promote personal business or provide personal financial gain, except as permitted by applicable academic personnel policies.
- Sites shall not give the impression that they are representing, giving opinions, or otherwise making statements on behalf of the University or any unit of the University unless appropriately authorized.
- Sites must always retain an owner; if you want your Site to remain active after you leave the university, consider using a departmentally-owned CalNet Special Purpose Account (SPA) to own the Site.
- Site owners may now publish their Google Site to a specific audience, the entire UC Berkeley organization or the public.
- Google Sites is a core G Suite service. Site owners that are publishing to the public should only include data that conforms to Protection Level P1 standards.
- UC Berkeley’s Google Sites implementation does not currently support the use of custom DNS names.
Google Sites owners are required to
- Conform to the privacy statement for UC Berkeley websites.
- Conform to the appropriate use guidelines within the Google Sites program policies.
Campus support for Google Sites is restricted to service outages and access issues. For help setting up or using Google Sites, please refer to the Google Sites Training and Help.
Terms of Service updated Feb 2021.