Configuring your printer, scanner or application to authenticate to a real email account when it sends scanned documents via email will greatly reduce the likelihood of these messages being incorrectly marked as SPAM, and will allow you to send scans to anyone, not just to people with @berkeley.edu email addresses.
Here is a basic overview of the steps required to configure your scanner:
- Create a SPA: Create a CalNet Special Purpose Account (SPA) for your printer/scanner. You might want to call it a name that will make sense to the people using it, like “warren-second-floor-scanner”.
- Create a Google Account: Use your new SPA to create a corresponding Google account
- Optional: Consider using the mail forwarding or vacation message features of bConnected to forward or reply to messages accidentally sent to the account
- Get App Password access: Request access to app passwords by going to https://forms.gle/WVKySL8Yjjro9cvd8. This form must be submitted by the SPA requesting access. An email notification will delivered to the SPA once access is granted.
- Create App Password: Logging in as the SPA, follow the the Google directions to Create and use App Passwords: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833
- For “Login as a SPA” steps, please visit: https://calnetweb.berkeley.edu/calnet-departments/special-purpose-accounts-spa/log-spa
- Find the manual: Find the manual for your printer/scanner/app. Usually this can be found as a result of a Google search for the manufacturer, model, and the word “manual", for example:
Xerox WorkCenter 6605DN manual
- Look for the instructions for configuring email, or “SMTP”. For example, for the Xerox WorkCenter 6605DN, those instructions are on page 81 of the manual found in step 5.
- Enter the following information:
- Outgoing mail server/SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
- Outgoing mail port/SMTP port: 465, with SSL encryption or 587, with STARTTLS encryption. You may have to try both settings to see which works with your scanner.
- Login/User name/Email address: The complete address of the Google account you created in step 2, for example email@example.com
- Password: The app password you created in step 4.
While we do recommend using an App Password, there are some circumstances where it's not necessary or undesirable. In those cases you can use Google's SMTP Relay Service.
Please note that if you use this option, you can only send to Gmail or Google Workspace users.
Use the following settings to utilize Google's SMTP Relay service:
- From email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SMTP server: aspmx.l.google.com
- Port: 25
- SSL: Off
- SMTP Authentication: Off
For more information about Google's SMTP Relay service, visit this support article: https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600