How to use a Special Purpose Account to configure sending scan-to-email documents:
Part 1: Configure a Special Purpose Account and generate a Google App Password
- Create a SPA: Create a CalNet Special Purpose Account (SPA) for your printer/scanner. You might want to call it a name that will make sense to the people using it, like “warren-second-floor-scanner”.
- Create the SPA's Google Account: Use your new SPA to create a corresponding Google account
- Optional: Consider using the mail forwarding or vacation message features of bConnected to forward or reply to messages accidentally sent to the account
- Request App Password access: Request access to app passwords by going to https://forms.gle/WVKySL8Yjjro9cvd8.
This form must be submitted when logged into a web browser as the SPA. An email notification will delivered to the SPA once access is granted.
For “Login as a SPA” steps, please visit: https://calnetweb.berkeley.edu/calnet-departments/special-purpose-accounts-spa/log-spa
- Create an App Password: Logging in as the SPA, follow the the Google directions to Create and use App Passwords: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833
- Create an individual App Password for each printer as appropriate for your department
Part 2: Configure the copier to send email using the SPA email address and its App Password:
- Find the manual for your printer/scanner/app: Usually this can be found as a result of a Google search for the manufacturer, model, and the word “manual", for example:
Xerox WorkCenter 6605DN manual
- Look for the instructions for configuring email, or “SMTP”: For example, for the Xerox WorkCenter 6605DN, those instructions are on page 81 of the its manual.
- Enter the following information:
- Outgoing mail server/SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
- Outgoing mail port/SMTP port: 465, with SSL encryption or 587, with STARTTLS encryption.
You may have to try both settings to see which works with your scanner.
- Login/User name/Email address: The complete address of the Google account you created in Part 1 above.
For example firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: The app password you created in Part 1 above
Google has changed the behavior of their Relay Service; configurations using aspmx.l.google.com likely will not work at the present time