In general, we have enabled all Google Apps unless there is a specific reason not to do so. This document provides some more detail and explanation of the decisions that were made.
Core Apps currently enabled
The following Core Google Apps are currently enabled for all users:
- Drive (including Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms) and Team Drives
- Hangouts/Hangouts Meet/Talk/Hangouts Chat
- Groups for Business (aka Google Groups)
- Jamboard (requires additional license purchase and set up)
Core Apps in progress
The following Core Google Apps have not yet been released to campus, but are slated for future release.
- Vault: Pending internal review, no current ETA
Consumer Apps currently enabled
The following Consumer Google Apps are currently enabled for all users:
- 3D Warehouse
- Chrome Web Store
- Fusion Tables
- Google Analytics
- Google Bookmarks
- Google Books
- Google Chrome Sync
- Google Custom Search
- Google Developers Console
- Google Finance
- Google Friend Connect
- Google Groups
- Google Map Maker
- Google Maps
- Google News
- Google Public Data
- Google Takeout
- Google Translator Toolkit
- Google Voice
- Google Webmaster Tools
- Location History
- Mobile Test Tools
- Google Photos
- Product Search
- Web History
Consumer Apps enabled for departments with a specific business need
Certain Apps will only be enabled for departments with a specific university business need. Generally, only CalNet Special Purpose Accounts (SPAs) are given access to these apps (send service request to bConnected@berkeley.edu).
For departments that need to purchase ads from Google
- DART for Publishers
- DoubleClick DART Enterprise
- DoubleClick for Advertisers
- DoubleClick for Publishers
- DoubleClick Search
- DoubleClick Studio
- Google Advertising Professionals
- Google AdWords
- Merchant Center
- YouTube Promoted Videos
For departments that need to publish books or apps on the Google Play Store
- Google Play Developer Console
- Play Books Partner Center
For departments that need to manage their users' Chromebooks
- Chrome Management
Please contact us to request access these tools for your department.
These apps are off for all users, and can only be enabled for unusual and compelling use cases, with the approval of the bConnected Service Manager (send request to bConnected@berkeley.edu).
- Google MyBusiness: Allows businesses to be listed on Google+ and Google Maps; however, only official University representatives have the authority to create listings on behalf of the University.
- Google Payments (formerly Google Wallet): Allows purchasing and accepting of payments through the Google Play Store. Purchases are tied to an individual's account, and are therefore inaccessible once an individual leaves the University. We have disabled this functionality to prevent users from inadvertently losing access to their purchases. For departments wishing to accept payments, please contact the Cash Handling and Banking Services unit within the Controller's Office.
- Google Classroom: ETS manages bCourses (our instance of Instructure Canvas) as our official campus Learning Management System (LMS). If you require the use of Google Classroom for K-12 related work, an exception may be granted.
Apps that will not be enabled
- Google AdSense: Prohibited by University policy
- Google AdSense for TV: Prohibited by University policy
- Individual Storage: No longer necessary due to unlimited storage on Google