How to download bMail into your Gmail account with Mail Fetcher
This article explains how to download bMail messages into your Gmail account.
For students graduating or faculty / staff that are leaving UCB, the ability to backup and save messages from ones @berkeley.edu account before it is cancelled is important and the following procedure outlines the process to move e-mail from your UCB account to a personal @gmail.com one.
Before you begin (These steps MUST be completed)
- Enable POP in bMail
- Sign in to bMail at http://bmail.berkeley.edu.
- Click the gear in the top right .
- Select Settings.
- Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Select Enable POP for all mail.
- Click Save Changes.
- If you do not already have a personal GMail account, create one by visiting www.gmail.com and following the prompts.
- Log out of any personal GMail account.
- While signed into your bMail account, turn On connections from less secure applications:
Go to https://myaccount.google.com/lesssecureapps?pli=1
- Click on the following link while signed into your bMail account:
- Set a bConnected Key:
Note: If you are attempting to use a mail client from a wireless connection on campus, you must use AirBears2. CalVisitors does not support email client access.
To enable mail fetcher and download your @berkeley.edu Inbox into your personal account
- In your personal @gmail.com account, click the Gear icon in the top right corner
- Click on Settings
- Click on the "Accounts and Import" tab and locate Check mail from other accounts (using POP3)
- Click on the Add a POP3 mail account you own text
- In the E-mail address: field, enter your full @berkeley.edu account (Ex. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Enter the fields as follows:
- Username: Your full @berkeley.edu account (Ex. email@example.com)
- Password: Your bConnected Key (https://berkeley.service-now.com/ess/kb_view.do?sysparm_article=KB0010045)
- POP Server: pop.gmail.com
- Port: 995
- Click on the button to the left of Label incoming messages:
7. Click on the Add Account >> at the bottom right of the screen
Mail in your @berkeley.edu Inbox should now begin populating into your @gmail.com account. Note however that it may take up to two hours for this process to begin and depending on the size of your Inbox, a few hours to a few days for all messages to be ported over.
For additional assistance, contact CSS IT at 510-664-9000 and follow the prompts to reach a technician from between 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday. A ticket may also be submitted through http://sharedservices.berkeley.edu/it/ or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org