Using filters in bmail
bMail's filters allow you to manage the flow of incoming messages. Using filters, you can automatically send email to a label, archive, delete, star, forward your mail, or even keep it out of Spam.
Note: Filters set up to automatically forward email can only forward to another Berkeley email address and approved exceptions, as described on the Berkeley Employee Use of Email page.
To create a filter
1. Open bMail
2. At the top of the Gmail Window, there will be a search bar.
3. Click . A window that allows you to specify your search criteria will appear. Enter your
search criteria. If you want to check that your search worked correctly, click the search
4. Once your search is complete, click Create filter at the bottom of the search window.
5. Choose the action(s) you want the filter to take.
To keep organized, many people like to have incoming messages automatically labeled and
removed from their inbox until they can look at them later at a more convenient time.
If you want to do this, make sure to select Skip the Inbox (Archive it) and Apply the
label: when you create your filter.
6. You have the option to Choose a label... or Forward it to: (forwarding address).
Use drop-down arrows to select.
If you have already added a forwarding address, it will come up in drop down next to Choose an address:
7. Once choices are made on this screen, Click the Create filter button.
Please note: When you create a filter to forward messages, only new messages will be affected. Any existing messages that the filter applies to will not be forwarded.
To use a particular message to create a filter
1. Open bMail.
2. Select the message in your message list.
3. Once a message is selected, navigate to the Gmail bar.
4. Click the More icon , then Filter messages like these.
5. Enter your filter criteria in the appropriate field(s).
6. Select Create Filter.
To edit or delete existing filters
1. Open bMail.
2. Click the gear in the top right.
3. Select See all Settings.
4. Click the Filters and Blocked Address tab.
5. Find the filter you'd like to change and click edit or delete to remove the filter.
6. If you're editing the filter, enter the updated criteria for the filter in the appropriate fields,
and click Continue.
7. Update any actions and click the Update filter button.
8. This message will be received at the bottom left of your screen when the filter is updated.
You can create an unlimited number of filters, but only 20 filters can forward to other addresses. You can maximize your filtered forwarding by combining filters that send to the same address.
Google Support: Create Rules to Filter your Email